Monday, March 13, 2006

Dad's birthday socks

Mr. Kitten models my dad's birthday socks:
The Details:
Ann Budd's sock pattern from her handy book in Fleece Artist merino on Crystal Palace size 1s. Leg is 2X2 rib, carried onto instep. The friendly girl at my LYS showed me how to divide a skein in half without a scale: count the wraps, then wind until you've only got half as many wraps left. This removed a lot of the anxiety over whether or not you have enough to complete your socks!

Lessons learned:
1) Even with the yarn divided in half, I made the first sock too short and had lots of yarn left over, so I picked out the cast on, picked up the stitches, and worked in a 1X1 rib upwards from there. The slight jog in the rib wasn't really noticeable (really, it's under your pants anyway), and luckily the yarn pooled the same way above the join.
2) I used a sewn 1X1 rib cast off from the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook. It worked really well, and wasn't nearly so scary as you'd assume a sewn cast off would be
3) I love socks!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are lovely. I like the muted yet bold colors. And Mr. Kitten? He is absolutely charming! Please give him some ear rubs from me.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home